Caney, TX (Hopkins County)


By: J. E. Jennings

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Caney, off Farm Road 269 in southeastern Hopkins County, was the site of one of eighteen churches that formed the Rehoboth Baptist Association. Services were held for several years before a meetinghouse was built on land owned by G. L. Stacy. A local school was opened before 1898, when it had an enrollment of seventy-one black students. The school was later closed, and in the mid-1930s the community had the church, a cemetery, and a number of scattered dwellings. Around 1944 the Pickton oilfield was in operation near the church. In the late 1980s Caney was the site of a church and cemetery.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

J. E. Jennings, “Caney, TX (Hopkins County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/caney-tx-hopkins-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Caney
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1332073
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Hopkins County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.99845320°
  • Longitude: -95.38633670°