Canyon, TX (Lubbock County)


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Canyon is at the intersection of Farm roads 1729 and 40, six miles east of Lubbock in east central Lubbock County. It was the site of a school built during the 1890s, when the community was a meetingplace for a small congregation of the Church of Christ. At various times the settlement was also known as Canyon School or Wheelock. Canyon became a county rural school district in the 1920s but was consolidated with the similar districts of McClung and Acuff in 1935 to form the Roosevelt Rural School District. The settlement survived in the mid-1980s as a small farming community with no reported businesses. In 1990 and again in 2000 Canyon had an estimated population of forty.

Virginia Hufstedler, A Study of the Activities of the Church of Christ in Lubbock County from 1890 to 1925 (M.A. thesis, Texas Technological College, 1933). Mary Louise McDonald, The History of Lubbock County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1942).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Canyon, TX (Lubbock County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/canyon-tx-lubbock-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994

Place
Canyon
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1353771
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Lubbock County
Associated Names

-School

Wheelock

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.59286330°
  • Longitude: -101.73155300°