Cap Rock, TX


By: Edloe A. Jenkins

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Cap Rock is at the edge of the Caprock on State Highway 207, twenty-seven miles east of Lubbock in Crosby County. It was established in 1925 after ranchlands were broken up for farming use. On March 8, 1929, the Cap Rock school district, originally named Plum Creek School, was established under the jurisdiction of the Robertson school district. Grades one through seven were taught in a one-room building with Estelle Griffin as the first teacher. A grade school remained in operation at Cap Rock until August 23, 1960, when the district was consolidated with Ralls Independent School District. Leading pioneers include C. H. Graham, who donated land for the school; Lawrence Teston, owner of the first store; and John Wheeler, who gave land for the construction of the first gin. Cap Rock was still listed as a community in 1990. In 2000 the population was twenty-five.

Crosby County Pioneer Memorial Museum, A History of Crosby County, 1876–1977 (Dallas: Taylor, 1978).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Edloe A. Jenkins, “Cap Rock, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 18, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/cap-rock-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994

Place
Cap Rock
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1353792
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Crosby County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.49147710°
  • Longitude: -101.39848680°
Population Counts
People Year
6 2009