Caput, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Caput was near the site of present Seminole in central Gaines County. Before the county was organized, Caput had the main post office in the area. It opened on December 19, 1904, with William B. Austin as postmaster. However, by 1905 the new town of Seminole had brought an end to its influence, and Caput declined rapidly. The post office moved to Seminole on January 22, 1906.

Ed Ellsworth Bartholomew, 800 Texas Ghost Towns (Fort Davis, Texas: Frontier, 1971). Ed Ellsworth Bartholomew, The Encyclopedia of Texas Ghost Towns (Fort Davis, Texas, 1982).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Caput, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/caput-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Caput
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Gaines County
Associated Names

Seminole