Caradan, TX


By: Julius A. Amin

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Caradan is nine miles northeast of Goldthwaite in northeastern Mills County. It was established in the 1880s and named for two pioneer settlers, Samuel Losson Caraway and Dan T. Bush. In 1889 the community of fifteen was granted a post office. Development was slow. In 1930 the community had twenty-nine residents and five businesses. In 1950 Caradan had two businesses and seventy-five residents. In 1970 the population had declined to eighteen, and the community still supported one business. In 1974 the post office was discontinued. The population was twenty in 1990 and again in 2000.

Fred Tarpley, 1001 Texas Place Names (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1980).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Julius A. Amin, “Caradan, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 29, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/caradan-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Caradan
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1353804
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Mills County
Associated Names

Lookout

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.55377030°
  • Longitude: -98.47726370°
Population Counts
People Year
20 2009