Carlson, TX


By: Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: September 12, 2013


Carlson is near Farm Road 973 nine miles east of Pflugerville in northeastern Travis County. It was probably named for a local family. As early as 1881 the community had a school, which in 1903 had one teacher and sixty students. Carlson had a store, several residences, and twenty-five residents in the mid-1930s. The Carlson school was consolidated with several neighboring districts in the early 1940s to form the Manda common school district. The population of Carlson was reported at 100 in 1945 and at sixty-one in 1972. Only the name marked the community on county highway maps in the early 1990s. In 2000 the population was still reported at sixty-one.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Carlson, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 18, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/carlson-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
September 12, 2013

Place
Carlson
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1353827
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Travis County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.42770490°
  • Longitude: -97.45194350°
Population Counts
People Year
20 2009