Carolina, TX


By: Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Carolina was just off Farm Road 935 near Deer Creek, three miles southwest of Chilton in western Falls County. It was one of the earliest settlements in Falls County west of the Brazos River. A post office called Deer Creek was established in 1852; the name was soon changed to Carolina by several settlers from North Carolina, who thought that the landscape resembled that of their former home. The first Presbyterian church in Falls County was established there in 1854 when the church at Elm Creek near Cameron in Milam County moved to Carolina. The Carolina post office was discontinued in 1873. When the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway bypassed the community in the late 1880s, most of the residents moved. By the 1930s a cemetery was all that remained.

Walter W. Brawn, The History of Falls County (M.A. thesis, Baylor University, 1938). Lillian S. St. Romain, Western Falls County, Texas (Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1951).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Carolina, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/carolina-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994

Place
Carolina
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1353836
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Falls County
Associated Names

Deer Creek

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.24545460°
  • Longitude: -97.08277300°