Carricitos, TX


By: Alicia A. Garza

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Carricitos is near the junction of U.S. Highway 281 and Farm Road 2520, seven miles southwest of San Benito in southwestern Cameron County. It is on part of the land that made up the Concepción de Carricitos grant from Spain to Bartolomé and Eugenio Fernández in 1789. The town was named before the Civil War by Mexican ranchers residing in the area. A post office was in operation there from November 1908 until January 1914. In 1914 the town had a population of 300 and six general stores. By 1936 the community had a school, a cemetery, and various dwellings. In 1948 Carricitos consisted of a store, a school, and a population of twenty-five who received mail from San Benito. In 1956 the community had several dwellings and a cemetery. The population of Carricitos remained at twenty-five from 1948 through 1991. During the 1960s a colonia developed in the area of Carricitos; by 1986 it was known as Carricitos-Landrum and had forty-five dwellings and a population of 203. The population was twenty-five in 2000.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Alicia A. Garza, “Carricitos, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/carricitos-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Carricitos
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1372949
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Cameron County
Associated Names

Moistown

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 26.04535560°
  • Longitude: -97.70971450°