Carters Creek


Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Carters Creek (Saline Creek) rises three-quarters of a mile northwest of U.S. Highway 190 and 1½ miles north of Bryan in southeastern Brazos County (at 30°34' N, 96°21' W) and runs southeast nearly eighteen miles to its mouth on the Navasota River, at the Brazos-Grimes county line (at 30°34' N, 96°10' W). The creek traverses flat to moderately rolling terrain with local shallow depressions, surfaced by clayey or sandy loams that support oak, mesquite, juniper, and native and introduced grasses. The creek was probably named for Richard Carter, who received an original land grant south of the site of present College Station from Stephen F. Austin on April 30, 1831.

W. Broadus Smith, Pioneers of Brazos County, Texas, 1800–1850 (Bryan, Texas, 1962).

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Carters Creek,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/carters-creek.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994