Caruth, TX


By: Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Caruth (Carruth) was on the Jacobs survey in southwestern Caldwell County. It was centered around a cotton gin and store. A post office operated there from 1902 until 1908. Children in the area attended the Unity School, which had one teacher and thirty-seven students in 1905. In 1912 Sarah Elizabeth Spencer purchased the community site and built her home there. Most of the early buildings were destroyed by a tornado in 1940.

Mark Withers Trail Drive Museum, Historical Caldwell County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Caruth, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/caruth-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994

Place
Caruth
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Caldwell County
Associated Names

Carruth

Clanton

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.77235700°
  • Longitude: -97.38963700°