Caruthers, TX


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Caruthers was near Clawson in west central Angelina County. Around 1900 a logging camp was established at the site and named for an official with the logging company. At one time the Peavy family operated a small sawmill nearby. A post office opened in June 1908 but was suspended in August of the same year. In the early 1990s only a few scattered houses remained in the area.

Angelina County Historical Survey Committee, Land of the Little Angel: A History of Angelina County, Texas, ed. Bob Bowman (Lufkin, Texas: Lufkin Printing, 1976).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Caruthers, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/caruthers-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994

Place
Caruthers
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Angelina County