The name Casas Amarillas, Spanish for "yellow houses," was given by early explorers to a geological formation near Levelland in Hockley County that at a distance looked like yellow houses. Spanish missionaries visited Indians at the site in the seventeenth century. The formation, long considered a landmark on the South Plains, became the location of a trading post for buffalo hunters, freighters, and cattlemen. It was acquired by the XIT Ranch syndicate in 1882 and by George Washington Littlefield in 1901. A marker was placed at the site of Casas Amarillas by the Texas Centennial Commission in 1936.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Anonymous, “Casas Amarillas,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 20, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/casas-amarillas.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.