Cash, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Cash is on State Highway 34 five miles south of Greenville in south central Hunt County. It was one of several communities established in the mid-1890s by the president of the Texas Midland Railroad, Edward H. R. Green and was originally named Sylvia, in honor of Green's sister. Sylvia quickly became a church and school community for area farmers. Residents, however, wanted to rename the settlement Money, for John A. Money, who owned a store there. When this name was submitted to postal authorities, though, it was rejected and the name Cash substituted. A post office branch opened in 1895 with John A. Money as postmaster. Since its founding Cash has served as a community center for farmers in south central Hunt County, but the town never reported more than 150 residents until 1949, when it claimed 250 residents. Cash's population decreased to fifty-six by 1968 and remained at that figure through 2000.

W. Walworth Harrison, History of Greenville and Hunt County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1976).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Cash, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/cash-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Cash
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1332285
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Hunt County
Associated Names

Sylvia

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.99456310°
  • Longitude: -96.10802880°
Population Counts
People Year
56 2009