Cassin, TX


By: Minnie B. Cameron

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Cassin is off U.S. Highway 281 just south of Mitchell Lake, twelve miles south of downtown San Antonio in southern Bexar County. It was settled before 1900 and was named for local landowner William Cassin. After the construction of the San Antonio, Uvalde and Gulf Railroad in 1913 Cassin served as a flag stop. In the mid-1930s the settlement was the site of the Asa Mitchell school, a church, and a store. The population in 1946 was 175. By 1990 the population had fallen to a reported fifty.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Minnie B. Cameron, “Cassin, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 24, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/cassin-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Cassin
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1377185
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Bexar County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.25857220°
  • Longitude: -98.49196050°
Population Counts
People Year
200 2009