Caton, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Caton is four miles southwest of Bagwell in southern Red River County. Although settlement in the area began much earlier, apparently a community did not emerge until the mid-1880s. In 1888 a post office was opened for a few months, and the settlement was called Catonville. When the post office was reestablished in 1892 the name was shortened to Caton. In 1896 the community had two churches, a doctor, and a music teacher. The post office was closed in 1905, and by 1984 only a few widely scattered houses and Catonville Cemetery remained.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Caton, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/caton-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994

Place
Caton
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Red River County
Associated Names

-ville

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.61927560°
  • Longitude: -95.20300370°