Cave Springs, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994

Updated: October 19, 2020


Cave Springs was near the intersection of State Highway 43 and Farm Road 2625 some nine miles southwest of Marshall near the site of what is now Darco in southwestern Harrison County. The community was founded sometime before 1897, when the Cave Springs school had fifteen White pupils. In 1904 the community had two schools, one with thirty White pupils and another with seventy-seven Black pupils. The Cave Springs schools were still operating in the 1930s and 1940s, and the community around this time also had three churches, one business, and a number of scattered dwellings. In 1983 a church, a cemetery, and a few dwellings were still at the site, but Cave Springs was no longer named on government survey or county highway maps.

Ennis B. Carrington, An Administrative Survey and Proposed Plan of Reorganization for the Public Schools of Harrison County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940).

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Cave Springs, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/cave-springs-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994
October 19, 2020

Place
Cave Springs
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Harrison County
Associated Names

-Spring

Darco

Ector

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.42959730°
  • Longitude: -94.43797720°