Caviness, TX


By: Sarah E. Calcote

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Caviness is on Farm Road 1499 eight miles from Paris in north central Lamar County. A post office operated there from 1895 until sometime after 1930. The post office was originally to be named Sidney, after early settler Sidney Caviness, but to avoid duplicating another office's name, Caviness was substituted. In 1896 the settlement's population was recorded as fifteen. By 1914 the number of residents had risen to forty, and the community had a cotton gin and two general stores. In the 1930s the town had a population of fifty, a school, a church, a cemetery, a factory, at least one other business, and scattered dwellings on a graded and drained metal surface road. In 1990 Caviness had a population of eighty and a town hall. The population remained the same in 2000.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Sarah E. Calcote, “Caviness, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/caviness-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Caviness
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1354021
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Lamar County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.75788140°
  • Longitude: -95.61329340°
Population Counts
People Year
90 2009