Cavitt, TX


By: Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Cavitt is at the intersection of Farm roads 1996 and 107, four miles south of Oglesby in eastern Coryell County. The Cavitt switch was established two miles west of the community on the Texas and Saint Louis Railway, which built through the area in 1882. Both the switch and the community were named after Andrew Cavitt, who owned a land headright in the area in the 1830s. The Cavitt school had twenty-nine students and one teacher in 1904; it was consolidated with the Oglesby Independent School District by the early 1950s.

Coryell County Genealogical Society, Coryell County, Texas, Families, 1854–1985 (Dallas: Taylor, 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Cavitt, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 21, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/cavitt-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994

Place
Cavitt
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379517
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Coryell County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.37572390°
  • Longitude: -97.51862660°