Cawthon, TX


By: Christina L. Gray

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Cawthon is a small rural community on Farm Road 159 four miles south of Millican and seventeen miles south of Bryan in southern Brazos County. The site was within the lands of Stephen F. Austin's colony and was settled before the Civil War. A townsite did not develop, however, until after the International-Great Northern Railroad was built from Navasota to Hearne in the early 1900s. The town was named for early settler Will Cawthon. A post office operated at the community from 1912 to 1956. In 1925 the town had a population of twenty-five, two general stores, a railroad express and telegraph agent, a physician, a butcher, and a blacksmith. The community had a store and a population of ten in 1940. The 1948 county highway map indicated a church, a school, two businesses, and several scattered dwellings at Cawthon. By 1964 the community reported a population of seventy-five and no businesses. Cawthon in 1990 had scattered farm buildings, the old International and Great Northern Depot, and an estimated seventy-five residents. The population remained the same in 2000.

Glenna Fourman Brundidge, Brazos County History: Rich Past-Bright Future (Bryan, Texas: Family History Foundation, 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christina L. Gray, “Cawthon, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 29, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/cawthon-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Cawthon
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1354026
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Brazos County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.41853970°
  • Longitude: -96.24301610°
Population Counts
People Year
75 2009