Cedar Bayou


Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Cedar Bayou rises eleven miles northwest of Liberty in western Liberty County (at 30°07' N, 94°59' W) and runs south for forty-six miles to its mouth on Trinity Bay, southeast of Baytown (at 29°41' N, 94°56' W). The lower portion of the watercourse forms the boundary between Harris and Chambers counties. Cedar Bayou flows through flat terrain with local shallow depressions, surfaced by clays and sands that support loblolly pine and post oak forests. Navigation along Cedar Bayou had been established by 1854, and the bayou remained an important water route through the early 1900s, with fifteen to thirty miles navigable according to the season. Much of the upper two-thirds of Cedar Bayou had by 1982 been channeled to aid in flood control. In the 1980s a Chevron petroleum refinery and a U.S.X. Corporation steel plant were in operation on the creek's lower reaches.

Jewel Horace Harry, A History of Chambers County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940; rpt., Dallas: Taylor, 1981).

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Cedar Bayou,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/cedar-bayou.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994