Cedar Creek, TX (Waller County)


By: Paul M. Lucko

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Cedar Creek is near the intersection of State Highway 6 and Farm Road 2979, seven miles north of Hempstead in northern Waller County. Presumably named for the creek nearby, Cedar Creek existed by the middle of the 1880s when Henry Kloecker, a German immigrant, opened a cotton gin for local farmers. The gin remained in the Kloecker family until about 1902 or 1903, when a resident of Navasota in neighboring Grimes County purchased it. A school for local children had opened by 1892; in 1906 thirty-seven children attended classes, but the school had apparently closed by the 1930s. A cemetery which may have begun during the Civil War era lies at the northern edge of the community. A small number of citizens resided at Cedar Creek in 1990, and St. Luke Church was in the vicinity.

Waller County Historical Commission, Cotton Gins of Waller County (Brenham, Texas, 1981). Waller County Historical Survey Committee, A History of Waller County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1973).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Paul M. Lucko, “Cedar Creek, TX (Waller County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 29, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/cedar-creek-tx-waller-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994

Place
Cedar Creek
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378103
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Waller County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.19465830°
  • Longitude: -96.06023540°