Cedar Grove, TX (Brazoria County)


By: Diana J. Kleiner

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Cedar Grove was twenty miles west of Angleton in extreme west central Brazoria County. A post office was established in 1886 and operated until 1887, when mail was transferred to Columbia. It was then reestablished by 1898 and functioned as late as 1911. The community was located in the area of Cedar Brake plantation, which belonged to the Dance family. Cedar Grove had a school with one teacher and fifty-two black pupils in 1896. State highway maps of 1936 showed scattered dwellings at the townsite, but by 1980 only the local cemetery remained.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Diana J. Kleiner, “Cedar Grove, TX (Brazoria County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/cedar-grove-tx-brazoria-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994

Place
Cedar Grove
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1354092
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Brazoria County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.15024950°
  • Longitude: -95.80189590°