Cedar Lane, TX


By: Stephen L. Hardin

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Cedar Lane is on Caney Creek at the junction of Farm roads 457 and 521, twenty miles southeast of Bay City in east central Matagorda County. The original settlement clustered around a plantation store, with an approach through a lane of cedars. In 1912 the community secured its own post office and by that time was a stop on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad. By 1914 Cedar Lane had a population of twenty-five and a telephone connection. In 1936 the community had a church, a school, two businesses, sixteen dwellings, and a paved thoroughfare. It also had its own school district. During the school year 1937–38 four teachers instructed eighty-five students. By 1949 Cedar Lane school had been consolidated with the Van Vleck Independent School District. In 1940 Cedar Lane had an estimated fifty inhabitants and two businesses and in 1967 fifty-seven residents and three business. In 1972 the settlement had a church, the Kennedy school, and several scattered dwellings. In 1990 Cedar Lane had a population of eighty-five and no businesses, and in 2000 a population of fifty-five with three businesses.

Matagorda County Historical Commission, Historic Matagorda County (3 vols., Houston: Armstrong, 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Stephen L. Hardin, “Cedar Lane, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/cedar-lane-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Cedar Lane
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2034870
Town Fields
  • Has post office: Yes
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Matagorda County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 28.93914300°
  • Longitude: -95.73717560°
Population Counts
People Year
300 2009