Cedar, TX (Limestone County)


By: Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Cedar, in western Limestone County, was probably established in the 1870s. It grew up around a church and school built by freedmen from several nearby plantations (see RECONSTRUCTION). The community's school may have been the Cedar Creek school, which had thirty-six students and two teachers in 1896. The community was abandoned soon thereafter and was not shown on the 1948 county highway map.

Walter F. Cotton, History of Negroes of Limestone County from 1860 to 1939 (Mexia, Texas: Chatman and Merriwether, 1939).
Categories:
  • Peoples
  • African Americans
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Cedar, TX (Limestone County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/cedar-tx-limestone-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:


Place
Cedar
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Limestone County