Cedar Valley, TX (Travis County)


By: Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Cedar Valley is on U.S. Highway 290 twelve miles southwest of Austin in southwestern Travis County. Mark Thomas, an early settler, gave land for a school in 1867. A post office opened in 1872 with Peter Wuthrich as postmaster. By the mid-1880s Cedar Valley had two churches, a district school, and forty residents; area farmers shipped cotton, wool, and hides. The population of the community rose to 100 by the late 1930s but fell to fifty by 1949. The post office was discontinued in 1957, and mail for Cedar Valley was sent to Austin. The population increased to 150 in the late 1960s but stabilized at seventy from the 1970s through 2000.

Mary Starr Barkley, History of Travis County and Austin, 1839–1899 (Waco: Texian Press, 1963). John J. Germann and Myron Janzen, Texas Post Offices by County (1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Cedar Valley, TX (Travis County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/cedar-valley-tx-travis-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Cedar Valley
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1373030
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Travis County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.22242930°
  • Longitude: -97.95584210°