Cele, TX

By: Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Cele is two miles west of Farm Road 973 and seven miles north of Manor in northeastern Travis County. It was established in the 1890s and was supposedly named for Lucille Custer, daughter of a local store owner. A post office opened there in 1896 with John Pitts Johns as postmaster. When the office was discontinued briefly in 1899, the community's mail was sent to New Sweden. The Cele post office reopened that same year but was again discontinued in 1902, when mail was routed through Manor. From the 1930s to the 1960s the population of Cele was reported at twenty-five. Cele was still listed as a community in 1990.

Mary Starr Barkley, History of Travis County and Austin, 1839–1899 (Waco: Texian Press, 1963). John J. Germann and Myron Janzen, Texas Post Offices by County (1986).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Cele, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 18, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/cele-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Loading