Centenary College, in Lampasas, Lampasas County, was founded by local Methodists in 1883, the centennial of the organization of the Methodist Church in the United States. It was the first coeducational college in Lampasas. The school was housed in two three-story buildings, and the college's enrollment in its first year was 174. The Reverend Marshall McIlhaney was the college's first president. The school sold its property in 1894 and moved classes to the vacant Park Hotel. The hotel was destroyed by fire in 1895, and Centenary College closed. The former Centenary College buildings were used by a Catholic boarding academy, St. Dominic's Villa, between 1900 and 1925. The site is marked with a Texas Historical Commission marker.