Center Hill, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Center Hill, also known as Corinth, is a farming community 1½ miles west of Kennard in east central Houston County. The settlement grew up around a school, known as Corinth or Old Corinth School, that was established in 1857. In the mid-1930s the community had a school, a church, a cemetery, and a number of houses. Its school was later consolidated with that of Kennard, and by the mid-1960s only a church and cemetery remained in the Center Hill area. In the early 1990s Center Hill was a dispersed rural community. In 2000 the population was 105.

Armistead Albert Aldrich, The History of Houston County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1943). Houston County Cemeteries (Crockett, Texas: Houston County Historical Commission, 1977; 3d ed. 1987). Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687–1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Center Hill, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 28, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/center-hill-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994

Loading