Center Point, TX (Upshur County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Font size: A / A reset

Center Point, also known as Pleasant Grove, is a farming community just off Farm Road 1404, ten miles southwest of Gilmer in southwestern Upshur County. It was established before the Civil War. During the antebellum period (see ANTEBELLUM TEXAS) a school known as Pleasant Grove operated in the settlement. In the mid-1930s the community had a school, a cemetery, and a number of scattered houses. During the 1950s most of its residents moved away. Its school was consolidated with the Gladewater school district, and by the mid-1960s all that remained of Center Point was a cemetery and a few houses. In 1990 Center Point was a dispersed rural community. In 2000 the population was fifty.

Doyal T. Loyd, History of Upshur County (Waco: Texian Press, 1987).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Center Point, TX (Upshur County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 18, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/center-point-tx-upshur-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Loading