Centerville, TX (Trinity County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1976

Updated: December 1, 1994


Font size: A / A reset

Centerville, at the junction of State Highway 94 and Farm Road 358, nine miles northeast of Groveton in northeastern Trinity County, was founded in 1935 when a consolidated school was built in the area. Centerville's population reached 400 in the mid-1960s; most of the residents earned their livings from farming, ranching, or forestry. The community's population declined in the 1970s and 1980s; 1990 estimates put it at forty. The population was sixty in 2000.

Patricia B. and Joseph W. Hensley, eds., Trinity County Beginnings (Groveton, Texas: Trinity County Book Committee, 1986).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Centerville, TX (Trinity County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 17, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/centerville-tx-trinity-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1976
December 1, 1994

Loading