Central, TX (Angelina County)


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Central is on U.S. Highway 69 eight miles northwest of Lufkin in northwestern Angelina County. The community was settled before 1900 and was originally known as Central School, for a schoolhouse that served the surrounding farms. In the mid-1930s Central had a school, two churches, and several businesses. Many residents left the area after World War II, but in the early 1990s Central reported a population of 105 and had a school, a church, a cemetery, and three stores. In 2000 the population was 200.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Central, TX (Angelina County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/central-tx-angelina-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994

Place
Central
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1381621
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Angelina County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.42740440°
  • Longitude: -94.80854360°
Population Counts
People Year
1,400 2009