Chain Seven Ranch


By: Matthew Hayes Nall

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


The Chain Seven Ranch was a 5,500-acre ranch in Denton County owned by William C. Wright from the mid-1850s to 1900. One source claims it was one of the largest horse ranches in the Southwest, with an estimated stock of over 1,000 horses. Another source places the number of cattle at the ranch as high as 2,000 for the period between 1875 to 1885. The brand was in the shape of two or possibly three number sevens linked or "chained" together (777). Wright thought the sevens would bring his ranch luck. The ranch also had holdings in Foard and Hardeman counties.

Mary Jo Cowling, Geography of Denton County (Dallas: Banks, Upshaw, 1936). Gus L. Ford, ed., Texas Cattle Brands (Dallas: Cockrell, 1936).
Categories:
  • Ranching and Cowboys
  • Ranches Established After 1835

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Matthew Hayes Nall, “Chain Seven Ranch,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 10, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/chain-seven-ranch.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994