Chancey, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Chancey was ten miles west of Lufkin in western Angelina County. It was established around 1900 as a whistle stop on the St. Louis and Southwestern Railway. By 1915 a small sawmill center had grown up there. A post office operated at the community from 1915 to 1916, when the office closed and local mail was routed through Lufkin. By the mid-1930s Chancey was no longer shown on maps of the area.

Angelina County Historical Survey Committee, Land of the Little Angel: A History of Angelina County, Texas, ed. Bob Bowman (Lufkin, Texas: Lufkin Printing, 1976).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Chancey, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 28, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/chancey-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994

Loading