Chaney, TX

By: William R. Hunt

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Chaney, on Farm Road 571 four miles east of Lake Leon in central Eastland County, was founded in the early 1880s when the Texas and Pacific Railway came through the area. A post office, possibly known as Chauncey, opened in 1902, with Amos G. Chaney as postmaster. The community did not develop beyond a one-store supply point for local ranches. Its rural school was consolidated with that of Alameda in 1939. Chaney's population was twenty-five in 1940 and thirty-five from 1980 through 2000.

Homer Stephen, The Frontier Postmasters (Dublin, Texas: Dublin Progress, 1952).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

William R. Hunt, “Chaney, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed December 04, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/chaney-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Loading