Chapel Hill, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Chapel Hill is off Farm Road 2088 fifteen miles northwest of Gilmer in northwestern Upshur County. Some sources say the town was established before 1872 by settlers from Chapel Hill, North Carolina. In the mid-1930s the community had a church and a small number of scattered houses. Children attended school at Piney Grove or Mount Lebanon. In the mid-1960s Chapel Hill had a church and a few houses. In 1990 it had a store and a church.

Doyal T. Loyd, History of Upshur County (Waco: Texian Press, 1987).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Chapel Hill, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 25, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/chapel-hill-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994

Loading