The Charity Guild of Catholic Women was founded in 1922 in Houston by a group of women headed by Mrs. Lucian Carroll. It was devoted to charitable works and had no bylaws (until 1947), dues, or time or place of meeting. Its early efforts included giving aid to the San José free clinic for Mexican-American women and children, supplying layettes, and supporting Christmas charities. The money came from an annual fund-raising event and later also from membership dues. In 1953 the Charity Guild Shop opened in an abandoned filling station. The present building on Lovett Boulevard was purchased in 1960; a wing was added in 1965 and another in 1978. The shop serves as a resale shop and a meeting place for the parent organization and its various committees. In 1963 and 1972 the guild provided furnishings for Catholic maternity homes, and it continued thereafter to help maternity programs with an annual subsidy.
In 1940 a group from the guild joined the volunteer program as companion-escorts at Jefferson Davis Hospital. Later they assisted in follow-up work with premature baby, heart, tumor, and diabetic patients in Ben Taub General Hospital. In 1949 the guild offered volunteer aid to St. Joseph's Pediatric Department, an offer that led to the formation of the St. Joseph Auxiliary. In 1951 the guild went into Veterans Hospital (now Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Houston) as volunteers to form the local chapter of the National Catholic Community Service. A reorganization of the guild occurred in 1940. Regular meetings were scheduled in the homes of members, and everyone in attendance sewed layettes, an activity that continued in the late 1980s. Projects at that time included the shop, foster children and maternity programs of Catholic Charities, layettes, nursing scholarships, and the San José Clinic. The guild also continued to assist the St. Anthony Center for low-income elderly.