Chautauqua, TX

By: John G. Johnson

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Chautauqua was on the Texas and Pacific Railway, five miles east of Baird in northeast Callahan County. The town was established around 1900 and by 1915 had a population of 125. A post office was opened on July 23, 1907, with William T. White as postmaster. It was discontinued on April 30, 1914. By 1936 Chautauqua was not marked on maps.

Brutus Clay Chrisman, Early Days in Callahan County (Abilene, Texas: Abilene Printing and Stationery, 1966).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

John G. Johnson, “Chautauqua, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 21, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/chautauqua-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Loading