Cheisa, TX


By: Lisa C. Maxwell

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Cheisa was near the intersection of Cheisa Road and the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad tracks, three miles southeast of Rowlett and ten miles northeast of downtown Dallas in northeastern Dallas County. It was named for John Cheisa, who settled in the area on Duck Creek before 1848. A store was moved from Rowlett to the Cheisa farm in the late 1880s, when the Missouri, Kansas and Texas line was built through the area. Cheisa was a railroad community by 1892; it had a switch on the railroad and eventually received a station. Its population was twenty-five in 1915, and it had twenty residents from the mid-1930s to the mid-1940s, after which no population statistics were available. In the 1980s the former townsite was within the city limits of Rowlett.

Daniel Hardy, Dallas County Historic Resource Survey (Dallas: Dallas County Historical Commission, 1982).
Places:
  • Communities
  • North Texas
  • Dallas/Fort Worth Region

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Lisa C. Maxwell, “Cheisa, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/cheisa-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:


Place
Cheisa
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Dallas County