Cherry Grove, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Cherry Grove was off State highways 19 and 154 some seven miles north of Sulphur Springs in north central Hopkins County. A public school was operating there by 1898, when it had an enrollment of fifty-two black students. In the mid-1930s Cherry Grove had a church, a school, a cemetery, and a number of scattered houses. After World War II most of its residents moved away. Its school was consolidated with the North Hopkins School District, and by the early 1960s a church and a cemetery remained at the site. In the late 1980s Cherry Grove was a dispersed rural community.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Cherry Grove, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 28, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/cherry-grove-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994

Loading