Cherry Mound, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Cherry Mound is on Farm Road 1753 some ten miles northeast of Sherman in northeastern Grayson County. Settlement at the site began in the mid-1850s, when the David Cherry family arrived and settled on a rise that provided a view of the countryside. In the 1940s the community there had a school, a church, two businesses, and a number of scattered dwellings. Cherry Mound served area farmers and cattle ranchers as a school and church community. In 1988 Cherry Mound was still named on the county highway map, though no structures were shown at the site.

Graham Landrum and Allen Smith, Grayson County (Fort Worth, 1960; 2d ed., Fort Worth: Historical Publishers, 1967).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Cherry Mound, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/cherry-mound-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Cherry Mound
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1354363
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Grayson County
Associated Names

Garlock

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.70510410°
  • Longitude: -96.42887630°