Chipley was four miles northwest of Whiteface in east central Cochran County. It was named for H. D. Chipley, an associate of Morton Smith, the land agent in charge of selling most of the holdings in Cochran County. Chipley was in charge of developing the site. The proposed town was surveyed and platted by Lee Secrest on April 2, 1926. R. F. Fox, who owned the land of the townsite, gave the streets and alleys for public use; plans were made to name the streets for locally prominent people. The fact that Chipley was between the rapidly growing railroad towns of Lehman and Whiteface probably accounted for the lack of interest in settlement. Chipley did have a small store, a service station, and a dance hall for a short time. Plans for the town were officially cancelled on August 18, 1945, and the site is now ranchland.