Chita is on Farm Road 355 some nine miles southwest of Groveton in southwestern Trinity County. The area was first settled before the Civil War, but a community did not begin to develop there until the 1890s. A post office was established for the community in 1895, and a school was founded the next year. By 1914 Chita had a general store, a cotton gin and gristmill, a stone and sand company, and a reported population of sixty. Its post office closed in 1929, but in the mid-1930s Chita still had two businesses and a population of seventy-five. The community's population declined during the 1950s and 1960s but then began to grow because of the community's proximity to Lake Livingston. In 1990 Chita was a dispersed rural community with an estimated population of seventy-five. In 2000 the population reached eighty-one.