Choice, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Choice is at the junction of Farm roads 417 and 2140, on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway seven miles southeast of Center in southern Shelby County. It was founded about 1904 and given its name by the post office department. In 1914 Choice had a sawmill, two grocers, and a population estimated at 100. By 1925 the population had declined to an estimated twenty-five. The town grew again during the 1930s and by 1939 had an estimated population of 100. In 1946 Choice had a business, a cemetery, and numerous dwellings. In 1947 the population of the community was estimated as 150. It began to decline again in the 1960s and from 1972 through 1988 was reported as twenty. In 1990 and again in 2000 Choice had a population of twenty-one.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Choice, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/choice-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Choice
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379547
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Shelby County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.69962050°
  • Longitude: -94.14547440°
Population Counts
People Year
35 2009