The Christian Courier, the oldest regional newspaper of the Christian Church, was a continuation of the Texas Courier, published from 1878 to 1888 by Joseph Addison Clark at Thorp Spring. The Texas Christian merged with the Christian Courier in 1888 and was published as a weekly in Dallas by William Kercheval Homan. It carried sermons, inspirational poems, and articles, as well as news from small towns, Indian Territory, and other states. Advertisements promoted such religious items as baptismal gowns and nonreligious items such as patent medicines. The newspaper continued as a weekly until the 1930s, when it was published monthly by a panel of three editors. By 1949 it was published in Fort Worth. In 1964, when it was published by the Texas Association of Christian Churches, a plan was implemented to publish different editions for each of five regions. In 1966 the Courier's distribution to 32,000 families made it the most widely delivered Christian Church newspaper in the United States and Canada. Eventually nine area editions were published, but by the 1980s they were merged into a single newspaper. The Texas Association of Christian Churches was succeeded as publisher by the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in Texas. In 1972 that group merged with its counterpart in New Mexico to form the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the Southwest. With offices in Fort Worth, that organization was still publishing the paper in 1993. At that time Carole Coffey was the editor and M. Margaret Harrison the executive editor. The paper had a distribution of 31,000 and was distributed primarily in Texas and New Mexico.