Circle, TX (Lamb County)


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Circle is at the intersection of U.S. Highway 70 and Farm Road 1842, five miles southeast of Springlake and six miles west of Olton in northeast Lamb County. It was on ranchland of Christopher C. Slaughter and was known as Punkin Center by 1928, when Abe Winkle established a store there. Later the town adopted the name of Circle for a curve in U.S. 70. D. G. Hobbs opened a cotton gin in 1936. The Hopewell Baptist Church was a mile west of the community. In the 1960s two businesses were active, although the church had been discontinued by 1968. The community still appeared on county maps of the 1980s and was still listed as a community in 1990. In 2000 the population was six.

Evalyn Parrott Scott, A History of Lamb County (Sudan, Texas: Lamb County Historical Commission, 1968).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Circle, TX (Lamb County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/circle-tx-lamb-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Circle
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1354505
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Lamb County
Associated Names

Punkin Center

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 34.18814060°
  • Longitude: -102.23629310°
Population Counts
People Year
6 2009