Clarksville Academy opened in Clarksville, Red River County, in 1842 under the management of James Sampson. The coeducational school had separate classrooms for boys and girls and accepted students at elementary, high school, and college levels. The academic year was two sessions of five months each. In addition to such traditional subjects as grammar, history, math, Latin, and Greek, the school offered courses in French and Spanish. Enrollment reached only thirty-six by August 1846, and the school closed in 1847.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
- Defunct Elementary and Secondary Schools
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Marie Giles, “Clarksville Academy,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 26, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/clarksville-academy.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.