The Handbook of Texas is free-to-use thanks to the support of readers like you. Support the Handbook today.

Font size: A / A reset

Support Texas History Now


Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.

Become a TSHA Member Today »

Clarksville Female Academy

General Entry

Clarksville Female Academy was first called Pine Creek Female Institute when it was established by Robert and Martha W. (Maum) Weatherred in 1840 on Pine Creek, fifteen miles north of Clarksville. The school was moved from Pine Creek to Clarksville in 1844, and the name was changed to Clarksville Female Academy, although the institution was often referred to as Mrs. Weatherred's School. Records indicate that fifty-eight pupils were enrolled in 1846. A Mrs. Gattis bought the school in 1852 and continued to operate it until the beginning of the Civil War, when a steady decrease in enrollment caused the school to close.

Clarksville Standard, August 27, 1842, February 17, 1844. B. E. Masters, A History of Early Education in Northeast Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1929).

Categories:

  • Education
  • Defunct Elementary and Secondary Schools
  • Women

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Anonymous, “Clarksville Female Academy,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed March 06, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/clarksville-female-academy.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:

Loading