The Handbook of Texas is free-to-use thanks to the support of readers like you. Support the Handbook today.

Font size: A / A reset

Support Texas History Now


Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.

Become a TSHA Member Today »

Clarksville Female Institute

Cecil Harper, Jr. General Entry

Clarksville Female Institute was established in 1848 when the Ringwood Female Seminary, with Eliza A. Todd, wife of William S. Todd, as principal, moved from Boston in Bowie County to Clarksville in Red River County. The institute was bought by professor John Anderson in 1854 and became a part of the Clarksville Male and Female Academy.

Marshall Vanderburg, The Presbyterians in Northeast Texas to 1920 (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940).

Categories:

  • Education
  • Defunct Elementary and Secondary Schools
  • Women

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Clarksville Female Institute,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed March 06, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/clarksville-female-institute.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:

Loading