Clay Hill, TX


By: Chris Cravens

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Clay Hill, also known as Hick's Spring, is two miles north of U.S. Highway 84 and five miles northeast of Teague in west central Freestone County. It had a school and a gin owned by Johnny George. The school had an enrollment of nineteen in 1903, and church services were held in the school house. In the 1930s Clay Hill had the school and a few scattered dwellings. By 1989 only a church remained.

Freestone County Historical Commission, History of Freestone County, Texas (Fairfield, Texas, 1978).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Chris Cravens, “Clay Hill, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 29, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/clay-hill-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994

Place
Clay Hill
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Freestone County
Associated Names

Hick's Spring

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.69627970°
  • Longitude: -96.23247230°