Cleburne Male and Female Institute, in Cleburne, was established in 1866 under the auspices of the Cleburne Baptist Church. In 1870 the Alvarado Baptist Association assumed control of the school. The first principal, J. R. Clark, was succeeded by W. B. Featherstone when the school was incorporated in 1872. The institute emphasized science, mathematics, and language. A maximum enrollment of 220 was recorded in 1874. With the opening of the Cleburne public school in 1875, enrollment declined, and in 1878 the institute was closed.